Wednesday

What happens Whensday - Edition 03! Today's topic: Clients requests

What are those old sayings about three? 

Threes company. 
Three strikes and you're out. 
Third's a charm. 
Three little birds sat by my window. 
Three, Two, One. 
Third degree -- (No one wants that, haha) 

And so many more! Today is our T H I R D edition of What happens Whensday. (doin' a little hand jive dance). Today's focus is going to be a dive into the deep end of how to handle client requests above and beyond your typical services. *Que audience ooooohs and ahhhhhhhs* 

What happens when a client asks you for additions above and beyond the services you typically provide? 

#1 - LICKEN LINDA - (for those of you who don't know that reference, enjoy this precious video of a little boy begging his mother to listen!) In short, L I S T E N. When a client is asking for a service or product beyond your business practices or typical service, take note! The value in learning what clients are expecting or interested in is through the roof! 

#2 - B R A I N S T O R M -  What's next? Once you've seen a pattern in requests from your clients, you can begin to predict their needs more easily. You can set up your business in a way that is planning ahead and changing with the times. Ask yourself, how you can change or modify your services to anticipate those needs?  If you need help brainstorming, one of the most profound books that will build your creativity and teach you that there is ALWAYS A WAY to come up with a new idea... is Thinkertoys. My fiancĂ© bought me that book and it has literally changed the way I think! So back to the client requests... You don't have to nor should you just answer every request with a "Yes!", but some "Yes's" will change your business forever! 

Last summer, for example, I had a bride request a USB for her wedding images instead of a CD. Big "huh?" moment for me. How was I going to deliver a custom, nicely packaged USB when I was set in my ways creating custom DVDS and mailing those? I had a system in how I worked and USBs were not part of that system... I knew saying "Yes" and just making it happen was the best way to move forward and grow. Soon after, I was buying beautiful crystal custom USBS in bulk with my logo etched in the front. EXAMPLE HERE  Now I cannot imagine NOT delivering this beautiful work of art to my clients after their wedding! Hello, Little Miss Creative, get with the times! 

Here's one I packaged today and sent off to my most recent and beautiful bride & groom, Nisha and Chandler. 


#3 - R E F E R - It's okay to refer your clients for jobs above and beyond your expertise. I do it all the time! I get requests for nude sessions, pet photography, newborns, special effect editing, intense photoshop jobs, etc. when they're not my area of expertise. I'm 100% comfortable referring out those clients to other photographers or editors who may specialize in their requests. It helps me out by being able to free up my time to do what I love, continue to shoot weddings, portraiture, and be creative with marketing & design! By building your networking circle with local businesses you will never be short on recommendations to your clients. It does your client a service by providing them a new often times better route. It does you a service by allowing you the opportunity to help build your community. 

#4 - Just kidding, there isn't a #4!!! Enjoy your evening & PLEASE share how you handle client requests above your typical services. I would love to learn and grow more in the area. 

Love and laughter, 
Fantasia 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate Fantasia! Great information here and thank you so much for sharing. Another thing I do for client requests above and beyond my services is to ask the client why they would like that feature. It can help me understand their needs on a deeper level! Again, thank you for sharing! ~ Kendra K ;)