Monday

DIY Camera Strap | Cost = $3.00

Happy sigh ~ Ah, craft projects. Since my last move, every "non-necessary for daily life" thing I own has been in storage. That includes craft supplies... although if I tried hard enough, I could probably include craft projects in the "daily for everyday life" list. Crafting could certainly be considered stress relief and a happiness/health booster, not to mention it keeps you out of trouble... Oh and if you're recycling it helps the environment... end rant ;)  But really though, anytime I get the chance to make something, my day seems to slip away in the "zone". Being creative and being able to see a physical result of an idea is truly my heart! 

So let's get down to the nitty gritty. Over the past week, I've been looking for a new, unique camera strap. There are a few multi camera straps I've had my eye on at Hold It Fast.com but the price range is a little high considering I'm in the market for a fancy new lens. Maybe after summer will be a great time to splurge on a 2 or 3 hundred dollar leather double camera strap, but for now, I'd love to keep it simple and cost efficient (not to be confused with cheap). Once I started looking for the right camera strap 2 red flags came to mind. #1 - Many of the straps I was drooling over, I knew I could easily whip together something similar with a little creativity & elbow grease. #2 - None of the straps seemed personal or creative enough.  There's some kind of excitement in the story behind handmade goods...

So, naturally, I took off on a thrifting adventure to look for the perfect "strap" to repurpose (aka old vintage belt). I was determined to figure out a way to make my own custom camera strap with a cheap belt. AND IT WORKED! As I browsed through a few leather options, some funky glittery children's belts, and even some floral scarves, one particular material stood out. It was a thick slate gray/blueish sturdy 2" industrial canvas belt marked at $3. I couldn't bare to leave the store without it. Something had to be made with it. It was calling out my name. (Disclaimer: I may be crazy but at least I don't have 10 cats.) 

Here it is! The strap came to life with 2, yes 2 hardy swipes in a sewing machine. It's comfortable around my neck, easily moveable, and extremely durable. The best part? All at $3.00! 
*The canvas belt I started with below*
*Shown below is the belt after using a seam ripper to open each closure and remove the metal "D" rings.
 *Below is after placing the "D" rings at the bottom of each seam, closing the seams, and sewing them in. Last, I threaded extra keychain rings I had lying around onto the "D" rings before stitching 2 tight zig zag closure stitches on my machine in mustard yellow thread. The keychain rings allow me to connect the strap to the strap openings on each side of my DSLR camera. Stitch Settings: 1.8 mm width and 5.0 mm long. 
Project time: 15 minutes
Project cost: $3.00
Project Materials: Canvas belt, seam ripper, sewing machine, scissors for cutting your belt to size or removing excess thread, coordinating thread, & a little love.

Make your own & tag me or comment here with your designs! Let's make the world a more beautiful, place one camera strap at a time ;) 
~ Fantasia McDaniel 

No comments: